Apr 28, 2013


Tichborne’s Elegy

My prime of youth is but a frost of cares,
My feast of joy is but a dish of pain,
My crop of corn is but a field of tares,
And all my good is but vain hope of gain;
The day is past, and yet I saw no sun,
And now I live, and now my life is done.
My tale was heard and yet it was not told,
My fruit is fallen, and yet my leaves are green,
My youth is spent and yet I am not old,
I saw the world and yet I was not seen;
My thread is cut and yet it is not spun,
And now I live, and now my life is done.
I sought my death and found it in my womb,
I looked for life and saw it was a shade,
I trod the earth and knew it was my tomb,
And now I die, and now I was but made;
My glass is full, and now my glass is run,
And now I live, and now my life is done.

Here we have so many realizations of an unfruitful, sad and short life, why does it resonate with me? I don’t really know the answer to that, but I’m willing to explore the different possibilities.
Sometimes I feel so tired of all the worldly ways, so much deception and disappointment, so much grief. It all seems so complex to me. Why is it so difficult to love and be loved, respect and be respected, trust and be trusted? Why must we strive to be the richest, conquer more territories, be all powerful? Why do we hate, kill, lie and make ourselves believe it’s all for a good cause, a higher purpose, a Holy War?
Why, why, why? I know it makes me crave for a place where none of these things are present, where one is at peace, where one just is, where none of this world’s ways matter. Escape is the word that comes to mind. Escape from the real to the imaginary. But wait, which is real and which is imaginary? I’m alive here, on planet Earth, or maybe I am I living a parallel life elsewhere as well? What if there is another aspect of me living simultaneously in a parallel universe, a universe that we have not yet been able to proof or accept its existence? What if I choose to stay there? Maybe, there is better than here.

 If one lets go of all our preconceived notions, than what is one left with? What would Einstein say?

~Albert Einstein and the Fabric of Time
Surprising as it may be to most non-scientists and even to some scientists, Albert Einstein concluded in his later years that the past, present, and future all exist simultaneously. In 1952, in his book Relativity, in discussing Minkowski's Space World interpretation of his theory of relativity, Einstein writes:
Since there exists in this four dimensional structure [space-time] no longer any sections which represent "now" objectively, the concepts of happening and becoming are indeed not completely suspended, but yet complicated. It appears therefore more natural to think of physical reality as a four dimensional existence, instead of, as hitherto, the evolution of a three dimensional existence.
Einstein's belief in an undivided solid reality was clear to him, so much so that he completely rejected the separation we experience as the moment of now. He believed there is no true division between past and future, there is rather a single existence. His most descriptive testimony to this faith came when his lifelong friend Besso died. Einstein wrote a letter to Besso's family, saying that although Besso had preceded him in death it was of no consequence, "...for us physicists believe the separation between past, present, and future is only an illusion, although a convincing one."~

Excerpt from Chapter One
in The Book:
Everything Forever:


Perhaps if this is truly accepted there would not be such lament in our lives…..

~Gema
Peace, Love & Light

No comments:

Post a Comment